JulesReveals: inner child

I want to start with a poem I wrote when I was 16. I'd say the first 15 or so poems will be ones that were written when I was in high school. ..

I want to start with this one particular poem because it very personal and, in a way, introduces me - I was born in Ghana, came to the US at the tender age of 10 years old! In Ghana, I was very outspoken, outgoing, still shy, but I was a lively child and a very strong person. I was never afraid to speak my mind, always rose my hands in the classroom (very smart). I was the leader of the girls in my class, fought all our battle with the boys; you can I was very popular. In the middle of my 5 grade year (Class 5 in Ghana), I came to America to be with my mom and siblings (they were here long before I was). The move had an enormous impact on me; it stunted me. I wasn't the same Jules...

inner child.
i wanna know you again,
i wanna hear you scream and say what i can’t
i hate that you went away,
the month before april, before may,
that was the day

you are everything i am not,
everything i wish to be,
you say what i cannot,
what i really mean

i hate the change!
i wish i were you again!
i wish everything had stayed the same!

i hate that you left me alone,
now i feel like a clone,
trying so desperately to be you,
the original,
trying so hard to fill your shoes,
it’s unnatural

you left and took all my words with you,
took my courage and self esteem with you,
you stripped me of me,
took everything,
emptied me from start to finish,
and all you left was a blemish

Thank you for reading…

Happy Writing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up